We are looking for a Principal System Architect who will have responsibility for recognizing and driving improvement opportunities for optimizing product design while maintaining a high level of customer satisfaction. While reporting to the Engineering Manager, Software Development, the successful incumbent will have the ability to make significant business impact by identifying technologies, components, tools and processes, which can be used across multiple product groups and globally distributed teams to continually improve development efficiency and effectivity. This role requires a diverse set of skills in order to understand customer and business needs, identify and implement solutions, work effectively and influence various disciplines and business groups, and communicate technical and business topics to a wide array of audiences. If this sounds like an exciting opportunity, we want to hear from you!
• Understand the business and customer needs across all product groups, which include software solutions.
• Create proposals for a common technical vision and strategy for software product. development improvements that support our business needs into the future.
• Be responsible for driving technical strategy across multiple product groups, and global teams with demonstrable results.
• Generate accurate, meaningful and actionable metrics to measure progress of development strategy at various levels of R&D.
• Clearly communicate strategy, goals and progress to all levels of stakeholders, including technical teams, directors and executive management. Drive alignment across technical teams, ensure understanding and engagement in working towards common goals.
• Identify current and future resource needs and competency gaps, and help address such needs to support MSA’s R&D and business goals. Propose development ideas and opportunities in support of increasing competencies within existing staff.
• Identify technical solutions, which can meet or exceed customer needs, and can be used across multiple products. Anticipate technologies that can help MSA’s competitive edge in the long term. Create technology roadmap proposals that fit into MSA’s current and future product portfolios.
• Work closely with MSA Technology Steering Teams, Product Marketing and Engineering Managers to align portfolio offerings and technology roadmaps to support MSA’s business goals.
• Drive high level system and software architecture with the goal to improve software development standardization across all product groups. Monitor and evaluate projects by collaborating with lead engineers and/or system engineers to ensure project design and implementation aligns with high-level vision and strategy.
• Provide a technical bridge between MSA’s product R&E and MSA’s cloud engineering team. In this role, ensure that technologies, designs, communications, architectures and methodologies align to meet our product requirements in the most efficient manner, and to provide the best ultimate customer experience. Facilitate the flow of technical information between the business units and their project teams.
• Identify and communicate potential risks, technical gaps and mitigation strategies in development projects.
• Guide and influence technical decisions, such as processor selection, software architecture and communications design to increase development efficiency across multiple projects, product groups and locations.
• Seek continuous improvement, find opportunities to improve existing systems, making use of new technologies and methodologies.
• Collaborate with technical experts and team members across multiple disciplines to understand current development challenges. Work closely with the Software Quality Engineering Team to develop software metrics, and to maintain our software quality standards while improving our development process
• Actively participate in the MSA Software Community of Practice and lead initiatives supporting overall strategy
• Be a mentor to technical staff. Write and present original technical papers within MSA to educate, and to increase the visibility of software strategy and initiatives in meeting business goals.
Special knowledge, skills and abilities required:
Education and Experience Required:
Bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Computer or Software Engineering or relevant, preferably from an ABET-accredited program
MS degree may be substituted for up to 2 years of relevant experience. PhD may be substituted for up to 4 years of equivalent experience.