We are looking for a Manager, Global Industrial Design. While reporting to the Executive Director, Research & Engineering MSA Americas, the successful incumbent will lead the design strategy for our business by crafting and implementing the vision of MSA’s physical products and user experience in collaboration with the business General Managers. This individual will have the opportunity to drive our organization to understand user needs through stakeholder empathy and apply a pragmatic, user-centric problem-solving process to design products, systems, services and experiences with great focus on human centered design. This role also will act as a bridge between the engineering disciplines and business interests as a strategic stakeholder in the innovation process. If this sounds like an exciting opportunity, we want to hear from you!
1. Lead the design strategy for our business by crafting and implementing the vision of MSA’s physical products and user experience
• Develop and implement a design strategy that is driven by understanding the customer at a deep level.
• Apply a pragmatic, user-centric problem-solving process to design products, systems, services and experiences.
• Act as a bridge between the engineering disciplines and business interests to develop a cohesive user experience for MSA’s products
• Drive change using customer driven innovation so that our customer’s experiences are seamless, thus enhancing brand loyalty
• Develop and understand the customer journey through VOC so that MSA’s design solutions attack the areas that have the most opportunity for differentiation
• Develop an Industrial Design and User Interface Strategy for MSA Products. Establish global MSA Standards for Visual Brand Language while considering regional needs for design and product use.
• Develop and implement effective user testing while applying the correct UX metrics (e.g. Usability vs. Engagement vs. Conversion) per the task at hand
2. Provide design oversight and direction to all NPD teams, and ensure alignment to the MSA design strategy
• Support Voice of Customer efforts as a part of new product development and determine customer requirements as it relates to Industrial Design and User Experience.
• Participate on Global NPD teams to guide and support efforts in determining design requirements including performance and usability criteria to encourage and facilitate innovation.
• Ensure a consistent look and feel across the product line. Work with Global and regional design teams to insure consistency and application of Standards
3. Build and lead the global industrial design team
• Serve as an effective day-to-day leader, facilitator and coach for the Industrial Design team, ensuring successful execution of NPD deliverables
• Assess the global need for industrial design resources, and build and develop a team that fulfills global needs
4. Develop and manage partnerships with outside vendors to support the NPD Project Plan as needed
• Collaborate with the NPD Product Group Managers to insure that resource needs for all projects are met.
Special skills, knowledge and abilities required:
• Experience conducting market research, trend research and analysis, user scenario development, competitive benchmarking and brand management
• Knowledge of manufacturing and assembly process
• Experience using human centered design to develop and implement an Industrial Design strategy, driven by understanding the customer at a deep level
• Demonstrated ability to coach associates and provide timely guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas needed to accomplish a task or solve a problem.
• Proven ability to create customer driven, innovative solutions and drive change so that our customer’s experiences are seamless, and enhance brand loyalty
• Solid business acumen along with the ability to sell the vision of the future state and gain support
• Demonstrated ability to gather and analyze information, evaluate options, generate solutions, and choose appropriate actions/outcomes.
• Proven ability to work effectively and collaboratively with multi-cultured, cross-functional teams/work groups or those outside of formal line of authority to accomplish organizational goals, including global and regional design teams
•Domestic and international travel of up to 30%
Education and experience required:
Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design, preferably from a NASAD accredited program.
This position is available at three levels dependent upon experience:
Engineering Manager I-8 years project management / engineering experience
Engineering Manager II-10 years relevant experience including a minimum of 2 years experience in direct staff management.
Sr. Engineering Manager-12 years relevant experience including a minimum of 2 years experience in direct staff management.
• MS degree may be substituted for up to 2 years of relevant experience
• PhD may be substituted for up to 4 years of relevant experience
• Advanced Degree (MBA, MS, etc.)