We are looking for a Supplier Quality Engineer who will have the opportunity for driving exceptional supplier performance in quality, delivery, and cost for new and existing suppliers! While reporting to the Supplier Quality and Development Manager for Northern North America, this individual will act as a technical liaison between suppliers and MSA New Product Development Engineering, Global Supply Chain Sourcing, Operations and other internal functions. The focus for the successful incumbent will be on supplier activities for new product introductions and strategic supplier performance improvements through development activities, material cost reductions, supplier risk mitigation and production support/ issue resolution. If this sounds like an exciting opportunity, we want to hear from you!
• Lead and support all elements of the MSA Supplier Quality Management System, within designated supplier commodities, including new supplier selection and qualification, supplier monitoring and re-evaluation, supplier audits, supplied part approval, Supplier Change Requests (SCRs), and 8D issue resolution.
• Identify and analyze supplier risk (technical, quality, safety, and manufacturing) through on-site supplier visits, audits, assessment tools, analysis of scorecard data, and through project experience. Create and execute development plans with suppliers to address gaps, mitigate risks, and drive supplier performance improvement (quality, delivery, and cost).
• Provide suppliers with technical oversight and expertise in areas such as Process Development, Lean Six Sigma tools, Measurement Systems, Preventive Maintenance, and Mistake Proofing.
• Lead and support customer/internal/supplier issue resolution with suppliers using the 8D methodology for supplier-related service and quality issues. Work with suppliers to minimize impact to MSA Operations and Customers. Assist suppliers with effective problem solving techniques, use of statistical tools, and technical expertise to prevent reoccurrence.
• Be a champion for MSA’s Quality Management System processes and procedures with suppliers and internally to mitigate risks to the organization and maintain ISO 9001 certification. Train suppliers and internal MSA functions as needed in MSA’s processes. Identify opportunities for improvement and develop processes as needed.
Required skills, knowledge and abilities:
• Solid troubleshooting and technical problem solving skills
• Proven ability to self-start and take initiative
• Well-developed organizational and time management skills, ability to manage multiple projects
• Demonstrated ability to interpret engineering drawings
• Familiarity with basic quality tools and Quality Management System requirements
• Solid interpersonal, negotiation, communication, writing and computer (Microsoft Office) skills
• Ability to travel domestically up to 25% of the time, with some international travel.
• Bachelor’s degree in Industrial, Mechanical, Electrical, Plastics, or related engineering discipline from an accredited college/university.
• 0-2 years of relevant experience
• Knowledge of ISO 9001